Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mushroom Rolls















Intro

I seem doomed to be forever surrounded by bloody vegetarians. My kids bring them home now; my daughter has had 2 close friends who didn't eat meat and my son's gorgeous wife is a vego too. Fortunately Bloke #2 was a vegetarian and over the 7 years or so we were together I gathered a few good recipes up. He loved pastry and pies and these 'sausage rolls' are so tasty I stopped making meat-ones altogether. 

Recipe

  • 500g mushrooms - finely chopped by hand or in a food processor,
  • 2 large onions, finely chopped by hand - they bruise in a food processor,
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil,
  • 3 large garlic cloves - finely chopped,
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder,
  • 1 teaspoon tumeric,
  • 40z fresh breadcrumbs (fresh bread slices in food processor),
  • 3 tablespoons chopped parsley,
  • 2 eggs,
  • salt, pepper,
  • flaky pastry - prerolled sheets or a block rolled out 2-3mm thick.
Heat the oil in a frypan, add the spices and garlic and cook gently for a minute or so. Add the onions and saute for a few minutes then add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Add the parsley and breadcrumbs and stir through. Remove from heat, cool a little then add the eggs, allow to get cold. Assemble as for your favourite sausage rolls. 

Method

Lay out rectangles of pastry (cut pre rolled squares in half), place the mushroom filling in a long sausage shape down the middle. Fold pastry over sealing edges with water. Make a few slashes or decorative cuts in the top. Glaze with beaten egg, sprinkle on a few grindings of coarse sea salt, cracked pepper or dried herbs. Cut into pieces as big or small as you like. Place on a greased baking sheet spaced apart to allow for pastry to rise. Cook in a hot oven , about 210 degrees, until pastry is golden and well risen.

3 comments:

  1. Variation: omit tumeric, curry powder and parsley and use fresh grated ginger, fresh chopped chilli, huge handful of chopped coriander and zest and juice if a lime or lemon. Sliced green leeks added with a reduced quantity of onions is delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to remind myself of how expensive your chocolate mousse recipe is and fell in love with the story, now I'm reading them all because I clearly never realised the full value of this blog when I first started using your recipes online. I love reading about our childhoods as well as yours, so I thank you infinitely for both this blog and feeding everybody we bring home, even if they are bloody vegetarians 😂😂 pretty decent mama 💕💕

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came to remind myself of how expensive your chocolate mousse recipe is and fell in love with the story, now I'm reading them all because I clearly never realised the full value of this blog when I first started using your recipes online. I love reading about our childhoods as well as yours and love that you always happily feed everyone we bring home, even if they're bloody vegetarians 😂😂 you're a pretty decent mama and this blog rocks 💕💕

    ReplyDelete